Adding the 12 hive to VS.NET File Dialogs
- Open Word and click on File -> Open to display the Open File dialog.
- Navigate to the 12 hive.
- Right-click in the left-hand shortcuts panel and select "Add 12" from the pop-up menu:
- This will have added a shortcut to the 12 hive to your dialogs within Word.
- Now open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Places\UserDefinedPlaces.
- Assuming that you only have one custom location defined (i.e. the 12 hive you've just added) then there'll be a key called "Place0" – right click on this and export it somewhere, say to your desktop and call it "word.reg".
- Edit the word.reg file in Notepad or your favourite text editor (mine being Notepad++) and replace the key string at the top of the file with the following instead:
Your file should now look like this:
- Save this file and close the editor, and then double-click on the word.reg file on your desktop to enter the new information into the registry.
- Voila – you'll now have the 12 hive as a shortcut in your dialogs within VS.NET.
You can also do a similar thing with document libraries etc to open / save files directly to web locations.
Hope this is useful.