El Blanco's Office 2007 Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Office 2003 an 2007 Client Co-existence Problems

I came accross a problem a while ago where IE crashed when trying to select "Edit in Microsoft Office Word" from a document's context menu in a document library. It turned out that this was related to the fact that I had Office 2007 Professional installed, but also had Project 2003 installed i.e. a co-existence problem with the 2003 and 2007 versions of the Office client apps.

I managed to get around this problem by renaming the owssupp.dll located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12 to something else e.g. owssupp.dllx which stopped IE crashing but gave me the problem that I got a pop-up telling me I needed IE 5.x or greater.

Mark Wilson kindly pointed me to an article by JPOX which provides the perfect workaround and now everything is working as it should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home